My biggest hope with working with children is to create a safe space both emotionally and physically. A space where they can comfortably grow, as well as gain a better understanding of themselves and the world around them. Where learning is not linear and never ends not for the children, but also for the families and educators.  A space where children can ask questions and gain understanding through play and be encouraged to do this through patience and support from me not just as a teacher, but also a collaborative learner. Children should be free to engage and learn in ways that are meaningful to them as the unique and capable individuals they are. They should feel valued and respected for who they are in this moment, not just for who they can one day be.

As an early childhood educator, I do not want to predetermine what a child should be learning in a day. Instead I want to achieve an environment that is engaging, sparks curiosity, and imagination that is focused more on play and what direction each child can take that play and thus their learning. As a teacher I want to be actively engaged in whatever form of play the children are so that I can better hear their voice and understand them as an individual. I can then connect these moments of learning to the living inquiries set by the BC Early Learning Framework and create activities that can further extend their growth and development in the five developmental domains.

The philosophy that I have found resonates the most with my own personal philosophy is the Reggio Emilia Approach. The approach was created out of need from families after the Second World War. Not only did the families need care for their children but they also wanted “an environment where children could acquire the critical-thinking and collaboration skills essential to rebuilding and ensuring a democratic society” (Beverlie Dietze, Diane Kashin, 2016, p. 98).  In this philosophy the children are leaders in their learning, and the teachers are there to support and give respect to their individual learning, as well as to adapt the environment to become “the third teacher” (Beverlie Dietze, Diane Kashin, 2016).

In my personal philosophy I also want to strive to acknowledge the importance of families and community in early childhood education. As teachers we listen not just to react but to understand and better guide the children in our care. We are fortunate that in Canada we experience much diversity in our daily lives but are we really embracing and sharing our cultures and differences? I hope to create a space where families are encouraged to express their needs and expectations of their child’s learning. Where we openly embrace ourselves for our unique cultures and take the time to understand and acknowledge others as well.

My hope is to create a safe space where children feel as though they can ask questions, follow their curiosities and be celebrated and respected for who they are. A safe place where no feeling is too small or too big. A space that is loud with laughter, quiet with the focus of wonder, respectful and adapting of teachers, children and families as individuals, and a safe place that children (and their families) can trust, be open and honest and all be a collaborative team in the journey of development, understanding and knowledge.

I want to always be a teacher who is patient and gives a voice to children. Someone who never stops reflecting and adapting as I continue to learn. To not forget those little moments and the sense of wonder and excitement that comes with being a child.

Beverlie Dietze, Diane Kashin. (2016). Empowering Pedagogy for Early Childhood Education. Toronto, Canada: Pearson Canada Inc.